Wednesday, June 29, 2011

South Africa 2011


Guest post by Seth Liptak
So as you may or may not know I went on a missions trip to South Africa last week. It was pretty amazingly awesome. SA is an incredible nation, the people there are so friendly and open, the beaches and nature are gorgeous, and the culture is super cool.

Throughout the trip my main job was to lead worship. Multiple times almost every single day I played guitar and sang worship songs at schools, churches, and homes. Sometimes we would have a full band, and other times it would just be Tim and me. And a lot of time I'd only know about half an hour in advance. Also most nights we would debrief and then Joe would ask Tim and me to lead the team in some worship. These times were some of my closest times with God during the trip.

One of my highlights from the trip was when we went to a Zulu (all black) church. The church culture there was so amazing and different from anything we had ever seen before. We walked in and there was one guy jamming out on a synthesizer while everyone else was dancing, yelling, singing, and blowing whistles. It was incredible. At the end of the service we ended up having a dance off between all the guys on our team, and all the Zulus voted on a winner :D.

One of the most amazing ways I saw God work through the trip was when we went to do a house vist. The man we were visiting was almost completely blind. We prayed for him and commanded God that if it was his will for John to see, that he would give him back his sight. After the prayer John opened his eyes and began saying, "I can see you! I can see the sky, I can see!".

And now the last story I'm going to tell you. Picture this, it's evening, upstairs, in a small hut on a farm, in the hills in South Africa. Theres a girl holding a needle and an apple. And I'm sitting on the couch squeezing Tim's hand very tightly :D.

2 comments:

Sarah Jane said...

A great story and remembrance for a piercing. Just realize that the hole will be there forever if you leave the earring in too long!

Carol Hoag said...

Great to hear about your trip, Seth! I'm sure there's more to share. Wow.