Monday, June 13, 2011

Real China


Jenna spotted this cutie when we were shopping in an antiques market area during their visit in April. Don't you love his bright eyes? This type of wicker stroller is still common among locals.
******
This morning I got up early and rode my bike across the main road into the Chinese area of Jinqiao, something I haven't done in a while. Swallowed up into the intricate dance of bikes, buses, and pedestrians on the road, and as the only foreigner in sight, I became a part of the morning landscape in a way that I don't usually experience. I biked to a fruit stall, where I chose mangoes, bananas, apples and a melon, then pedaled home with my purchases.

Only one more year to soak up China in an up close and personal way. Don't want to miss my chances, snug and cozy in my expat bubble. Planning on more early morning bike rides. Wish you were here, Lisa, to get me into the side streets where real China still lives. :-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am back in China with the visions in this post.
LOve this picture! Love his bright eyes. Can't wait to see you....
~Jenna

Anonymous said...

You don't know how much I wish I was there to bike and walk with you. Jason and I had a date last night and reviewed our year back in the States. Like big babies we cried in the coffee shop as we talked about what we missed about China. I am thankful we were there long enough to not have a dreamy feeling about it, but that everything still is fresh and real in our minds. Enjoy your year!
Love you, Lisa

Kristen said...

love to hear about your morning bike ride! soak it all in for me!

Anonymous said...

what a nice peek into China again! Mom

Sarah Jane said...

I think they made this stroller out of a dolly!

Jennifer J said...

Thank you for sharing your early morning bike ride!