Thursday, March 10, 2011

Science in the Kitchen

Madelyn and her friend Audrianna had great fun this afternoon creating edible animal cell models to present in class tomorrow. They spread ready-made pizza crusts (the cell membrane) with frosting (the cytoplasm) and added lots of yummies! Madelyn's cell had a kiwi nucleus, Twix bar mitochondria, green grape lysosomes, spaghetti noodle endoplasmic reticulum and gummi worms for the golgi body, among other things. Caleb, Seth and Gwen all hung around to lick frosting off spoons and snitch gummi worms.
Caleb and Seth both did an edible cell model at some point in the past, and I remember doing one when I was in school, too. Anyone else remember this popular science project?

3 comments:

Mark said...

I don't ever remember doing anything that creative for science class

Jason and Lisa said...

Yes, I have assigned this project to 5th graders. Why is it always a 3-D edible cell?

Jennifer J said...

I had to use colored pencils and a piece of paper. I think I would have been much more engaged with this project!