Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Ma

Reading parts of Steinbeck's "The Grapes of Wrath" with Caleb recently. We came across the description of Ma Joad in the section we read tonight. I love this bit, describing her role in the family and how all looked to her to help interpret their own feelings.

And since, when a joyful thing happened, they looked to see whether joy was on her, it was her habit to build up laughter out of inadequate materials. But better than joy was calm. Imperturbability could be depended upon. And from her great and humble position in the family she had taken dignity and a clean calm beauty.... She seemed to know that if she swayed the family shook...

Love it . Makes me think of the woman described in Proverbs 31~

She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also and he praises her. Proverbs 31:25, 28

I've never read "The Grapes of Wrath", so this character is new to me. I'm looking forward to seeing where John Steinbeck takes her.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Needed that reminder today... thank you for helping me get perspective!! Miss you!