Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Towels

Sometimes I wonder about all the boxes we have in storage somewhere in a warehouse in the Chicago area. We have many, many boxes in storage, packed up years ago now. What is all that stuff? I've thought about the day that I begin to open those boxes and what I'll find. I have a feeling that I'll feel a little silly that I even saved some of those items.

Tonight as I hung our bath towels, still warm from the dryer, on the the towel bar in the bathroom, I thought again about the stuff in storage. I know there are bath towels in storage. I know because I didn't bring a single one here. I purchased a towel a piece for us once we got here. Scott and I have used the same two IKEA bath towels since our first week in Shanghai. Part of the reason I only bought us each one towel was for the simple fact that we have really limited storage here. Actually, no storage. No linen closet, no pantry, no coat closet, etc. But really, how many towels can you use at a time? One has turned out to be plenty, and it's kind of nice to be streamlined in this way.

However, having only one towel causes the towel to wear out more quickly. As I hung the towels tonight, I noticed little signs of wear. A few random bleach spots, a bit of fraying. It relieved me in a way. I will have good reason to dispense with these towels when we leave. I have decided that when we move from Shanghai, we will not be taking our towels with us. Why should we? They will have been used literally daily, aside from vacations, for five years. I think they will have served their purpose.

Besides, I have all those lovely old towels in my storage boxes. Maybe those will go on their way as well... I think I might plan a bath towel shopping trip now, for the Summer 2012. :-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will go shopping for towels with you!!! ;)
TjMaxx or Marshalls!!! I love shopping for towels and linens! love, Jenna
p.s. loved this post!

Sarah Jane said...

How freeing. I'm going to weed out some towels right now.

Anonymous said...

It's funny how some things we think we need a million of and actually a few is good enough. Maybe you are like the Israelites, they roamed for 40 years without worn shoes. God is gracious even in our towels:)
Love you,
Lisa

Anonymous said...

what a funny post! I loved it! So every day but the stuff of life! Mom p.s. I like the thought of your planned towel buying trip in the summer of 2012!

Kristen said...

I love musings like this!

sarah said...

you've just inspired me to let go of the extra fraying towels I keep in the linen closet "just in case"...