Friday, January 14, 2011

It's beginning to look a lot like Chinese New Year...

The Chinese Lunar New Year is only a couple of weeks away, and the decorations, mainly red, are showing up everywhere! I snapped these pictures on my phone in Carrefour last week.
I'm sure you can guess from the picture below that this coming year is the Year of the Rabbit. Rabbits of every style and shape are appearing on coffee cups, as stuffed toys, on sets of dishes, signs, and as huge figures standing guard outside of establishments all over Shanghai.
There is even a rabbit on this new reusable shopping bag for sale at Carrefour.
Loved this group of workers gathered in a little shopping mall close to us... they were smoking and chatting, surrounded by the CNY red lanterns they had been hired to hang. I guess I should get my lanterns out at home. Seems we've just put Christmas decorations away. And I still have a few Christmas photos I want to post!
A huge styrofoam ship has been constructed as a CNY decoration outside this same shopping area. Workers spent last week painting the entire thing red and mounting figures of children and rabbits on it. I'll try to get a photo of it this week. It's quite impressive!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun to see! Mom

Sarah Jane said...

odd to have such a big celebration right after Christmas...but I guess Christmas isn't as big a deal there.