Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Old Words, Timeless Truth

Madelyn and I have been working on memorizing this quote from one of America's founding fathers. The first twenty times I read it, it moved me to tears. Benjamin Franklin was not alone in his beliefs... would he be today? The truth of his words remains, I believe. Anyone else have thoughts about this?

"I have lived, Sir, a long time, and the longer I live, the more convincing proofs I see of this truth: that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid? We have been assured in the sacred writings that unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain that build it. I firmly believe this. I also believe that without His concurring aid, we shall succeed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel."

Benjamin Franklin, Constitutional Convention, 1787

1 comment:

Sarah Jane said...

chilling. And we can see how "well" we're doing at it.