Tuesday, September 09, 2008

It's Good

Have I mentioned that I love where we live now?

I most definitely miss the wonderful river view from our 48th floor apartment. I miss the boats, the city lights at night, the feeling of being in the heart of real Shanghai. It was really cool to experience city life for a year.

But as Caleb said last spring when we were contemplating moving, "We've done the apartment thing, now we can do something else." And we are. It is so very different, in some really great ways.

I love being so close to school that the boys can run back over later in the evening if they forgot something there.

I love seeing people I know from church when I'm at Carrefour.

I love having friends for my kids a quick bike ride away.

I love having neighbors knock at the door.

I love walking to church, and walking to dinner with friends after church.

I love riding our bikes places... to ballet, to Starbucks, to gymnastics, to the store for a few groceries, to the pool, to friends' houses.

I love walking over to the school library with the girls.

I love sitting out on our little deck with Madelyn to do schoolwork, and to eat lunch.

I love having friends' kids come hang out at my house while they're waiting for their ride, because we're so close to school.

I don't love water dripping out of lights in the bathroom, or the AC being broken for days and days, or the washing machine breaking repeatedly, or the phone acting up all the time. But those things are worth it somehow, for the community we feel in Jinqiao. It feels like we belong, like we're part of something bigger. Somehow in our apartment, as much as it felt homey to be there, we were isolated.

So I'm glad to live here, in this place and time, and for these moments.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lynne,
Glad you are enjoying your new surroundings. With all your walking and riding of bikes though, what does Mr. Wu do with his time?
Beth

Anonymous said...

It is so nice to hear how well things are going!! It is definitely a God thing!

Rachel

Anonymous said...

Hi Lynne,
It's Chris H...could you email me? I can't figure out how to email you...my friend who is on staff with Campus Crusade for Christ is moving to China for 3 - 5 years and I was trying to see how close you guys are going to be...you never know :) They are leaving tomorrow and they will be living in Xining. If you don't have an email for me, you can try emailing me at noahsark9@zoominternet.net . That's not my main one, but one I use for junk...I will give you my main one when you email. It's nice to hear how well you guys are doing. I love the adventure you're on...it would be great! I did a double take at church when I saw you, but you were moving so quick I only got to say Hi to your husband...sorry I missed you :) Take care and talk to you soon.

Chris

Anonymous said...

Lynne, I am sooooo happy for you and very especially for the kids. I know it is a longer communte for Scott and I am very impressed with him as he was willing to sacrifice for his kids.
Your entries make me miss you so much. I wish I was there to walk with you in the evenings or to escape to each other's place to have a good talk.
I loved seeing you very briefly a few days ago, I want more time! :-) We need to figure out a time when we can talk I am willing to cal you at 10:oopm anytime as it would 1:00pm for you and maybe you will have finished homeschooling Madelyn. What do you think?
Have the Small group gatherings resumed?
For all you tell us it sounds like Nr. Wu is having an easier time. Oh I want to talk to you or else I will keep on writing and asking you questions.
Love you.

Anonymous said...

Dear Lynne,

How delighted I was to read your blog today.

Philippians 4:11 saids
Not that I am implying that I was
in any personal want, for I have learned how to be content in what ever state I am.


and Phil $: 13 I have stength for all things in Christ Who empowers me.

My love Mom

Lana said...

So glad it's good! I've been checking often even though I haven't posted a comment! It looks lovely! How is Gwen doing with school this week?

Rebecca said...

This is great news (except for the bad news about the breaking things and the leaking water) and beautifully written. I'm glad to know of your contentment. God is good.

And what IS Mr. Wu doing?