Tuesday, July 22, 2008

At the Lake

I grew up within a couple of miles of Lake Erie. We swam at the beach and grilled kielbasi and ate potato salad at the park above it. We vacationed at a lake community of cottages on Lake Erie several summers. When Scott and I were dating, we enjoyed sunsets sitting on the pier, dreaming about our future. Several times we made breakfast together at the beach. Caleb took some of his first unsteady steps along a Lake Erie beach. I've walked with my sweet grandma, who is now nearly 100, along these shores.

This week I've returned to these beaches. Lake Erie may have had a bad rap in the past, but the last two evenings by this body of water in the Midwest have been lovely. The peachy pink sky reflecting in the water... well, a Shanghai sunset just isn't anything like that. My girls paddled around in the lake tonight in lovely, warm, clear water.

I guess we always see places we love through rose colored glasses. Or maybe that was just the color of the clouds as the sun was setting...

2 comments:

Judith and Lance said...

Were you there this past weekend? We were probably only w/in a couple of hours of one another... what a small world we live in! Glad you enjoyed it!

Anonymous said...

Everything you have described sounds wonderful. We are in Xiamen right now and sadly the ocean is not as beautiful as I had imagined. No, the ocean God made is beautiful but man has messed it up. I realized that loving your neighbor and being thankful for God's gift of creation includes picking up your trash (and other peoples trash).

Lisa W