Thursday, December 07, 2006

A Year Ago Tonight...

December 7, 2005 we were busily adding a few last things to our suitcases, reviewing notes about our three children with my parents, and pinching ourselves to see if the adventure we were about to embark on was real or only a dream. We got a scant four or so hours of sleep that night, and then headed off to the other side of the globe to go get our girl!

I've been feeling really nostalgic about our China trip the last few days. This past Tuesday morning I happened to dress Gwen in the first outfit I ever put on her, after her bath on the day we first met. Later in the morning I realized it and marveled first of all that it still fits, although the sleeves are a tad on the short side, but mostly I marveled that it's been only a year, and that it's already been a whole year, since she's been a part of our family. The whole journey to her is fading now, sadly. I love to look at the pictures from last December and occassionally I read the journal we kept on the trip through this blog, but a lot of the details of our first days with her are getting fuzzy around the edges.

Gwen herself, though, is very much a force of life! Nothing fading or fuzzy around the edges about this girl! I know the people we traveled with a year ago felt a wee bit sorry for Scott and I, that we got this total bundle of energy child that kept us running constantly. We chuckled about it even then. She is certainly still a bundle of energy, now not just in actions but in words too.

I have more thoughts about a year ago and how our lives changed... to be continued!

No comments: