Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Gotcha Day Anniversary Celebration and Thoughts

We had a fun day yesterday, remembering the events of a year ago. I took Seth, Madelyn and Gwen to the children's museum for a few hours mid-day, where they played with water and bubbles, hammered and sawed, cut and glued and colored, and watched balls roll down ramps and through mazes. After her nap I gave Gwen the pretty blue Chinese outfit she's wearing in the pictures below... Scott and I bought them in several sizes last year, along with some traditional Chinese items to give to her on future gotcha days. She loved the outfit and asked to put it on right away! Of course Madelyn wanted to put a Chinese dress on too, so they would match. :-) Later after dinner, we watched some of the gotcha day video together. She recognized herself in it and kept saying, "Daddy hold you, Mommy hold you!" I hadn't seen the video in a while and was amazed at how young she looked... I've felt like she hasn't grown very much since she can still wear clothes from a year ago, but I guess she's been sneaking up on me! We gave her two Chinese ornaments in little red boxes. Madelyn opened one and Gwen opened the other, and then they put them on the tree together.

We continue to be amazed and so very thankful for this girl that God chose for our family. I think some of the best moments of this first year with her for me have been the times when she walks away from me, holding hands with one of her siblings. Caleb, Seth and Madelyn have received her with such open arms. I remember the fears I had while we were at the beginning of the paperwork for Gwen's adoption... I was afraid this unknown child could perhaps wreck what we already had with our three children. I had such reassurance from God that stepping out of our comfort zone was going out to where He was waiting for us... and He truly has been with us, every part of our journey and through this first year. There have been difficult times this past year, some because of the added stress of a fourth child, and some completely unrelated. But in all of our days, He has been the Faithful One.



Opening the ornaments together



Thank you, Jesus, for bringing Gwen to us!

3 comments:

park it said...

Happy Adoption Day! One Year - hard to believe - Gwen looks so pretty in her blue outfit and love the ornaments - wish I would have seen them - I just need to go back soon...
Love from Sunny Florida (today 78 degrees at the zoo)
C & K

Rebecca said...

Hooray!!!

I can't Believe we haven't met her yet.

Cora & Mike said...

Happy Anniversary! I have been following your blog since the day before you left for China (which was the day we first started our application) and have enjoyed reading about your family ever since. I wish you and your family a wonderful holiday!