Friday, April 21, 2006

Communication

The first sentence... it's a really big deal.

It came out of the blue tonight, after a day of a number of pretty clearly (I use clearly rather broadly) spoken words. Gwen has been using quite a few words for a while now, but they are all extremely "mushy" and the untrained ear probably wouldn't catch most of them.

But tonight's three connected words were clearly spoken. Seth, Madelyn, Gwen and I were making s'mores at the the kitchen table, roasting the marshmallows over a can of sterno under a little grating. We had the graham crackers out, and the bag of marshmallows, and a ziploc of chocolate chips. I had been giving Gwen little bits of things here and there, a piece of cracker, a few chocolate chips. I got up to get us all some milk, and she turned around toward me and said, "Mommy, more cracker." I whooped and yelled to the other two... "Did you hear that? She said a whole sentence!!" Gwen caught my excitement and her face broke into a big grin.

Never mind that she actually was asking for more chocolate chips. :-)

No comments: