Monday, May 14, 2007

Mother's Day

Gwen has another mother. I haven't thought about her for a while, but I did yesterday. It surprised me, because when we were in the midst of the adoption process, and during the time when Gwen had first joined our family, I thought about her first mother all the time. At times it seemed to me that it would be too difficult to bear, these thoughts of the woman who had given birth to a daughter she would not be able to raise. I couldn't bear to imagine her sadness at losing this baby girl.

But yesterday in church, amid the special events of the service honoring mothers, I thought of her again for the first time in a while. I couldn't hold back the tears, as I watched her little girl bring a flower to me. How is it that now I have the privilege of being the mother of this child?

I know that Mother's Day wasn't celebrated yesterday in China, but there are mothers all over that country that were honored yesterday by mamas and daddys in this country who have beautiful daughters because of these women. Gwen's first mother is one of them.

And when I put Gwen down for her nap yesterday, she whispered in my ear, "I love you. You're so pretty. You're my best friend, ever, ever, ever." How come I get to hear these sweet words, and her other mother never will?

Last night at bedtime, I prayed with Gwen like I usually do, only this time I found myself praying for her first mother. I have never prayed for her outloud with Gwen before. As I finished the prayer, I wondered if she understood any of it. I wondered about praying for this woman with Gwen more, in the future. It must be the right thing to do.

Happy Mother's Day, Gwen's first mother. We've got a pretty special girl, you and I. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Beautiful, Lynne. Thanks for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

I just had the chance to read the last 3 posts. Tissues, please. :) Miss and love you, Lana

Anonymous said...

Lynne, what a wonderful group of flower pictures!Your piece on Mother's Day is of course heart rending. I wonder, I am sure Gwen's mother thinks of you and if she has a relationship with our Father, prays for you. I know she is so thankful for you and your family! Much Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Lynne, Zachary just slept 10 hours last night without waking up once so I actually am awake enough myself to dig around on the computer and on our blog... first time in a long time! Light at the end of the tunnel! I've reda a bunch of your blogs, but this one is the best. I find myself praying for her, too. God bless in your packing and goodbyeing- Kathie