Friday, May 11, 2007

China Update

We are moving to China.

I know I've mentioned this fact, but now we have booked our tickets. One way tickets. It makes it seem much more real, to know the day and the hour we will leave this country for the Far East side of the world.

Our apartment negotiations are nearly complete... did I tell you that we actually lost the first apartment we had chosen, because the owner decided to sell it instead of rent it? Providentially, this happened right as Scott was arriving in Shanghai for his three week stint, so he and our agent were able to select another unit that is the exact same layout, only flip-flopped, and instead of being on the 47th floor, now we will be on the 48th. I'm not thinking that extra twelve feet in the air will make much difference!

This morning I received via email a document from Concordia International School, where the boys will be attending next year, for Caleb to rate his choices for his arts classes in the fall. We read through the choices together, and his top three selections are Media Literacy, which involves video/movie making using IMovie software; Sculpture, a class that focuses on realism in sculpture and incorporates a variety of media; and Clayworks, where the students will use both the potter's wheel and handbuilding techniques. He will get two of these classes next school year, for a semester each. I am so excited for this school experience for the boys... I wish I was going to be attending (at least for the art classes)!

We are periodically receiving e-newsletters from Abundant Grace International Fellowship, the church that Scott and I attended on our first trip to Shanghai. It's been interesting to read about their search for a full-time youth director, knowing that this is a person that will directly affect our family. I've also read about a Newcomer/Farewell Coffee that will be taking place next weekend, where all the new families can meet each other as well as the old-timers (which they described as anyone who's been attending more than 6 months!), and where all can say good-bye to the families leaving Shanghai permanently. Interesting to consider the kind of turnover the church and school communities will have there... everyone rotating through while they are on assignment, then moving on and out of each other's every day lives.

I am slowly clearing things out of my house, one little plastic grocery bag at a time. I've pretty much finished culling out the clothes we don't need anymore, and have done some of the toys... but there is lots more to do. Hopefully once we're done with school at the end of this month, I can really devote some more time to this effort. Right now it's still a little overwhelming, but I am enjoying the "light" feeling of less clutter!

Working on gathering what I need for the girls' passport and visa applications... hoping that Gwen's will slide through with no trouble. Hopefully her "US Citizen" certificate says it all. Then we just need a work visa for Scott...

We had a WONDERFUL surprise farewell party for Scott at Ernst & Young earlier this week... hoping to post some pictures from that soon. The children and I were included, which made it really special for our whole family to get to be a part of it. I'll post more on that event soon.

I guess that's the "Moving to China" news for now. Thank you to all who are praying for our transition. I know there will be hard days ahead... but the growth and the adventure will be worth it!

4 comments:

Kayce said...

The adventure ahead will be magical! What an incredible opportunity for all of you. Many prayers for you guys!

Tina said...

do not know what to say.so excited for your family.i am sure the adventure will be fine.

park it said...

I am leaving on a jet plane...don't know when I will be back again - HEY THAT IS YOUR LIFE!

Can you imagine a few years ago - while you sat at your table filling out adoption paperwork/applications etc - that it would - in the near future lead you to live in in China ! WOW - I am so excited for you guys - jealous too :-). Can't wait to come visit as well!
Glad things are progressing - soon it will be new sights/smells/foods/experiences - the other side of the rainbow!
We wish you well..
Love us
c & k

Anonymous said...

The other side of the rainbow ... how poetic! That's how I will think of you. Praying for your days ahead. Lynne, I treasure our brief visit a few days ago in Alton.
Blessings to all,
Jan W.