Sunday, April 15, 2012

Track Meet

Yesterday was the Shanghai International School Athletic Conference track meet.  Scott and I haven't been to any of the track meets yet this year, so we loved getting to see our guys jump and run.  Here are a few of Caleb's long jump attempts.




Seth runs hurdles, both the 110 meters and the 400 meters.  Hurdle running always amazes me... maybe because of my short legs, I can't imagine having a chance of getting over them.  I was surprised to learn there is no penalty for knocking them down, but Seth cleared them all with ease.


Caleb ran on the 4-by-1 team.  He was the second runner.  Baton pass went fine and he was leading the pack.

 Looking strong...
 Little grimace, great effort?

 Hand to hip...
Something's not right... he managed to stagger to the third runner and pass the baton, then he crumpled. 
He said later he heard a snap or something like it... fortunately it is a strained hip flexor muscle, not ruptured.  No fun though, and he is hurting today.  Seth stepped up and ran Caleb's last race for him.  Thinking Caleb probably won't be running in the Asia Pacific Athletic Conference meet next weekend.  Three varsity sports seasons in his senior year is a pretty great record- proud of this guy for giving his all. 

7 comments:

Sarah Jane said...

These are amazing pictures. I'm always bewildered by the hurdles as well. Seems nearly impossible. If there are no deductions for knocking them down, maybe I'd try just plowing through them? :)Guess that would be frowned upon. Caleb's jump looked great. puzzled by the footwear. So sorry his old bod is giving him troubles!

Jason and Lisa said...

It is such a blessing to be able to do sports with just the joy of doing it. I was always told to do the hurdle when I was younger because I could jump well and sprint. But something about coming sprinting full blast a wall and then tripping over it could never get me over the first hurdle. I was also wondering about Caleb's shoes? Lisa

Lynne said...

he is wearing track spikes

Unknown said...

So proud of those two!! Hate to say this, but I suffered the same injury Caleb did (shocker, I know!), same snap sound, crumpling to the ground, pain, the whole enchilada...and it took me 6 mo. of physical therapy and a hip brace to get through it. Ugh. Injured it exercising funny enough.. but I know that pain and it can be so hurtful! Really pray it's not that bad and he recovers quickly than this old lady did! ha! Hugs and congrats to them all though!!

Anonymous said...

This was the next best thing to seeing a track meet! We were wanting to see Caleb pull his body forward on that jump! Seth looked like he was moving over the hurdles well! Mom

Mary and Justin said...

Awesome pictures! Yikes, Caleb, hope you are feeling better.

Rebecca said...

What great photos! I almost feel as though we were in the crowd. So sorry about Caleb's injury and certainly hope he isn't down for the count.

Sarah Jane, you crack me up. Plow through them, indeed. Somehow I think a disqualification would be in order.... :)