Sunday, January 01, 2012

Last Round

One more time I sit in the lounge at the O'Hare airport, waiting for a flight to Shanghai. 

Six years and a few weeks ago we left the US for what we thought was a once in a lifetime trip to China, the trip to bring Gwen home.  We never imagined that this flight across the Pacific would become old hat, that we'd have the elements of the trip down to an inexact science, even to the bagel shop at O'Hare where we get a baker's dozen of our favorites to tide us over until the first of three in-flight meals is served. 

I can't believe this life we've come to love in China is in it's final chapter. Sigh.  Scott and I have often said it's been the greatest adventure of our lives so far.  We've also noted how in many ways our lives in Shanghai are pretty ordinary.  It's work and parenting and church and school and friends.  Good stuff.

We have so many details of our move back to the US to sort through.  As I contemplate all the decisions to be made about what household goods to keep, timing of packing and then receiving air and sea shipments, renovations to be made in our Chicago house, visitors still to join us in Shanghai, graduation festivities for Caleb and his subsequent move to college, school to choose for the other kids, etc, the complexity of it all seems not unlike the adoption process.  Adoption took us to China for the first time.  Six years later we are preparing to come home from China amidst nearly as many details. 

I read a great book a few months ago about preparing yourself and your family for a child leaving home.  It talked about how having a child leave home for college is such a major life altering event that it's best not to have any other life stressors at the same time, such a move or a new job.  LOL.  In our family we're going for the trifecta in 2012! 

I'm not sure what this blog will look like in the coming months, nor how often I'll post.  I have Christmas photos I'm sure I'll share.  Basketball tournements are coming up, and after his broken ankle at the end of volleyball season and the months of healing and rehab that followed, Caleb is raring to get out there and play the second half of the season.  I'll probably have some pictures from that.  I mentioned visitors... we have several sets coming (can't wait!), so there will likely be some posts from their time with us.  But if you'll indulge me, I will likely use this spot as a place to journal my thoughts and our family's feelings about the big changes we have coming. 

I'm excited to see what God has next.  Bring on 2012! :-) 

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Yes, the trifecta. Our Lord doesn't always go with the wisdom of popular psychology, does He? But He is always sufficient, and I pray you will rest in the knowledge and realization of that sufficiency as you make your way through these months.

Please do journal here, Lynne. It's a gift to read. Love you.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see it all unfold - I say with tears in my eyes! Mom

Anonymous said...

Will keep you on the prayer list for extra grace throughout the year.

Jan in St. Louis