Monday, July 18, 2011

Our Kind Of Town

Last week in the midst of all our college visits, we had a one day reprieve in Chicago. Scott had a business lunch, so Caleb and I had a couple of hours to spend in the city. Mid summer weather makes Chicago especially appealing... we loved the sunshine, blue sky and the stunning aqua water of Lake Michigan.
We followed our noses to Millennium Park to see the Bean and the face fountains, to listen to the symphony practicing in the band shell, and to people watch a bit. This was a place I took the kids many summer afternoons in the past, riding the train into the city from the suburbs, and I loved being there again. If you haven't been at the Bean, it's hard to describe how amazingly cool the reflections are. What's real, what is a reflection, and what's a reflection of a reflection?
Love these fountains! I remember a time we rode the train home, kids shivering in the air conditioned train cars, soaked from playing in the fountains all afternoon.

After Millennium Park, Caleb suggested we hop in a cab and head to Navy Pier, another downtown destination we have loved in the past. We rode the giant Ferris wheel there (at Caleb's request- how many more times will I get to buy him a ride ticket?? Loved it!) for an amazing view. As the wheel slowly rose above the city, I felt a little giddy with the beauty of the day, the love of Chicago, and the joy of being with my guy.
Our only sorrow last week was that Justin and Mary aren't in Chicago anymore... they made our time there in the past that much sweeter. But though it won't be the same without them, Caleb and I agreed that we are sure looking forward to living in Chi-town again someday soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea!!!! Can't wait to visit you there again!
What a special day with Caleb.
!Jenna

Mary and Justin said...

Oh, this post made me so homesick for Chicago. It is so beautiful. We are so, so bummed that we won't be back in Chicago when you return. But I suspect, Chicago will be home for us once again some day... :) Can't wait to see you this weekend!

Jason and Lisa said...

I have never been to Chicago, but it does look like a fun City!