Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Moss and Trees and A Bit of History


I seem to have a thing for cemeteries. I took a lovely walk in one this morning, in fact, close by the hotel where we stayed the night in Indiana, first stop in our week of college visits. The one I visited this morning, although neat and well manicured, with rolling expanses of lawn, wasn't nearly as interesting as this one my dad and I visited on Hilton Head Island last week.
This cemetery was o-l-d. Several of the headstones were Revolutionary War era. With the inscriptions showing several hundred years' worth of weather, the wrought iron fence rusting and broken, and the abundant Spanish moss hanging in the trees, this place had a definite feel. Not eerie, I don't think of it that way at all, but heavy with history, perhaps. The little building in the background of this photo is the oldest building on the island, circa 1820.
My dad discovered this headstone, slowly being swallowed up by the growth of the tree beside it. Was the tree even there when the stone was first placed here? I'm guessing not.
The best part of being in a cemetery for me is thinking about the day when "The dead in Christ will rise first, then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the air. Then shall we ever be with the Lord." Can't wait! :-)

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

I have a thing for cemeteries, too. But I guess you know that-- remember Kennebunkport?

Several years ago now I began a tradition with my children here on LI, playing hide-and-go-seek in the cemetery where my grandparents are buried. We use their headstone as "home base." Last year, we all played:my parents, my family, my sisters and their families. I think my grandparents like it.

Anonymous said...

Loved the cemetery pictures! We have driven by this cemetery for so many years. Now we will all want to see it next year! Mom

Carol Hoag said...

So cool. Love all your HH pics. Great verse about end times. =)