Tuesday, May 25, 2010

This Very Good


Mary and Mr. Wu, April 2010

Mr. Wu, our driver, has been with us since we moved to Shanghai, nearly three years ago. He met us at the airport when we first arrived. I remember in the early days how I would sit silently in the car with him, wishing we could communicate. Very quickly he began to attempt to use the bits of English he knew, and he taught me bits of Chinese.

Mr. Wu's English has progressed far faster than my Chinese. In my defense, he did study English when he was in school. But he has made huge gains to my baby steps in his speaking abilities in the three years we've been here, despite my lessons. He's always a bit rusty from lack of practice when we return to Shanghai after being away for the summer, but he quickly gains back his temporary losses.

Mr. Wu's English has some very distinct qualities to it that we often adopt when we speak with him. Some examples are "I very like this", or "This very no good." Those of you who have been to visit us and have enjoyed some time in the car with Mr. Wu know what I mean! It's easy to fall into his slightly stilted way of speaking, especially in order to communicate with him in the way that is easiest for him to understand.

Today Mr. Wu said something in a manner he has never used before. It so surprised me that I thought about it to myself for a minute or two before commenting to him. He has a sunshade that he puts in the windshield of the car when he is parked to keep the sun from beating in and making the car too hot. As I got into the car around mid-day today, a very warm day, he said of the sunshade and its usefulness, "I love this."

I have never heard Mr. Wu use this very American-sounding phrase. In the past he has always used, "I very like this" in a similar situation. When I pointed this out to him, and how American it sounded, he got his characteristic big grin on his face and laughed.

If only my Chinese was progressing as Mr. Wu's English has. I don't think any Chinese person will ever tell me that I sound Chinese!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How funny! He has been a fun part of your experience in China! Mom

Anonymous said...

I am thankful for Mr. Wu. Next time ask me about our last conversation Jason and I had with him. Anyways, just practice your "bu yao le" in a very Shanghai way and people will say you speak well. Of course you may not know that they are telling you that:)
Lisa

Mary and Justin said...

Mr Wu!!!!!