Tuesday, April 06, 2010

There she goes...

So today is the day. Madelyn is at school at this moment, her first day in the classroom. She was beyond excited for this day to come. She tried on her uniform options last night (there aren't many!), packed her backpack, and made her lunch. She dreamed about being at school again last night. We walked across the street together this morning, but she said that tomorrow she thinks she'd like to go on her own. Whew.

I can't believe this day has come. It's been such a journey with this girl, a wonderful journey that has afforded us many delicious hours together and some challenging hours as well. I think what I will miss the most are our lunch times together. With math behind us for the day, we'd fix our plates and take them to her bedroom, where we'd lie on the floor on our stomachs, plates in front of us, and I would read aloud to her as we ate. Loved that hour in the middle of every day.

God has been gracious to me to fill this first month with Madelyn in school with lots of things for me to do. Today and tomorrow, it's Gwen at home from her school, on spring break. She and I have had time today to learn and play together in ways we don't always make time for when everyone else is around. Tomorrow afternoon Scott and I head to the US, and return home on Sunday to visitors for the rest of April. What will May hold?

It's nearly 3:20. Time to walk to meet Madelyn. I can't wait to hear her impressions of the day!

6 comments:

Mary and Justin said...

Can't wait to hear about her first day!!!

Anonymous said...

It brings tears to my eyes to see her "ready to go!" This is going to be so good! Mom

Sarah Jane said...

Its amazing to still have the same letting go feelings you would even if she were going to kindergarten! I got tears in my eyes too! But she is 10, and just walking across the street...
right?

Jennifer J said...

She is so pretty! What a day for you both! I thought of you as I left for work today...hope her day was the first step in a great new journey!

Rebecca said...

What a sweet photo. I hope she enjoyed her day!

Kayce said...

Hope the day was wonderful! She looks so grown up in that picture.