Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Resemblance

Last night Gwen and I were reading an adoption themed book before bed entitled, "Every Year On Your Birthday", by Rose Lewis. The author is recounting what she and her adopted Chinese daughter have done on each of the little girl's birthdays and telling how they remember her Chinese family with love, especially at birthday time.

We came to this illustration, (on the left) and Gwen, who often wonders when we read adoption themed books if the story is about her, said, "Is that me? It looks like me." As I looked at it, I realized that we had this photo of her (on the right) in a family photo book that did look remarkably similar. I got it out and she and I compared the two. Amazing! Even down to the little ponytail on the same side and the fact that both pictures are on stairs.

The photo of Gwen was taken in the late spring after her second birthday, just about six months after she joined our family. She is wearing a sweet little Laura Ashley dress that my dear friend Rebecca bought in a second hand shop for Madelyn, right after we found out during my pregnancy with her that we were expecting a girl. :-) Both Madelyn and Rebecca's daughter Emma Grace wore the dress before it was passed down to Gwen.

This isn't the first time that Gwen "saw herself" in a story book. A couple of years ago she was sure that the illustration in a particular book was of her and Seth. Click here to see the post I wrote about it in November 2006.
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sweet is that! Mom

Jennifer J said...

That is wonderful! So cute!

Anonymous said...

I love that Lynne! Those do not seem like a coincidence. They are both so similiar to the picture you have. Is that God's special way of speaking to her and to her needs? Or just His special way of loving her. It reminds me of how personal He is to each of us.
Lisa

park it said...

We have that book to and love it! You should write your own book - but insert her pics - just mix the stories up - When we read Motherbridege of love - "mom that looks like my mom in China..."
and look my China mom carried me in her belly ...etc...

Love the pics -what a sweet girl ! We miss you guys !Come to FL next time you are in the USA...the kids REALLY need to see Mickey!

T,V, W,I and G said...

That is amazing. What a true blessing.
-Veronika

Kristen said...

Wow! She is so adorable, inside and out!

Judith and Lance said...

So sweet, I love it!

Hazel's mom said...

That's amazing! I had fun going back to read a bunch of your first posts too, after checking out the picture of Gwen and Seth. You've created such a wonderful record of the last five years!

Donna said...

Wow! That is uncanny! The dresses and poses are almost identical!

Donna
Our Blog: Double Happiness!

Rebecca said...

I thought that dress looked familiar. Darling Gwen. We miss you.