Monday, June 02, 2008

Images of Hope House

Hope House was founded about five years ago by a couple who decided they wanted to make a difference for orphans in China. They took their life savings to open this place where abandoned babies with medical needs can have the surgeries they need arranged for and receive the follow up care required.

I took nearly 100 pictures at Hope House on Saturday and Sunday. Here are a few...


This is Stacia, one of the younger girls that came along on the trip with us. I took this just as we were leaving on Sunday. Stacia peeked back into one of the rooms from outside, and these two cute faces scrambled to see her.

A sleeping angel...
These twin girls are about 7 months old. Most all of the children at Hope House are there because of a special medical need that their original orphanage was unable to handle. These twins are perfectly healthy, but were sent to Hope House because they were premature. Here they are with their nanny, but we all enjoyed cuddling them.
Hope House is a beautiful facility. Clean wood floors, lots of light, handmade quilts on the beds, very low ratio of babies to caregivers. Quite a contrast from the social welfare institute where Gwen lived. I expected to feel so happy for the children that live a Hope, and indeed it is a wonderful, caring environment. But in the end, it just looks nice. The children are still orphans, no matter how nice their surroundings. The great thing about Hope is that nearly all of the children there will eventually be placed in families. But for now, they wait.


Pictured on the wall are small framed photos of the children who have lived or currently live at Hope House.
A nanny reaches down to feed a waiting mouth in the baby room.
Toddlers being fed in the lunchroom.
This photo of me with these two little guys shows the Hope House facility in the background.

Jennifer, one of the gals in our group, cuddles a sweetie.

We really enjoyed taking a small group of little ones out to the playground (playgrounds are unheard of at many Chinese orphanages... Gwen's had only an empty cement courtyard for outdoor play). I think we may have had more fun than they did! Here Sue gives this cutie a push. The large framed picture tells the story of a man who encounters a small boy on the beach, throwing starfish stranded on the sand back into the surf. As the man surveyed the expanse of sand covered with hundreds of starfish, he asked the boy why he was even bothering when there was no way he could save them all. "I know I can't", the boy answered as he tossed the one he was holding out into the water. "But I've made all the difference to this one."

So it is with orphan care.

Me with one of the twins. Don't you just want to kiss those cheeks?!
I loved how this bath area had a baby's picture next to each wash cloth, and a cup and toothbrush for each one.
Some of our group interacting with the babies, while the nannies look on.
I loved this little guy's sweet face! Strollers waiting for riders and pushers!





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lynne, what a group of pictures! It is a beautiful facility! The organized appealing surroundings would lift the spirits of the nannies and effect the kind of care they give to the babies.
Mom E.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful way to spend your weekend. Giving back a bit of our time sometimes feels so small, but is so huge!! Very inspiring!

Shauna and MacLean said...

Hi I happen to come across your blog and was so amazed to see you at the Hope Home. My daughter MacLean and I spent a month in China last summer and over two weeks at the Hope Home volunteering. I was so moved to see so many of the kids still there and looking more grown up. I am from Cahada and adopted my sweet girl almost 9 years ago. Thanks for sharing and if you want to see my trip please check out my blog at www.shaunaandmacleansadventuretochina.blogspot.com thanks, shauna and MacLean

Fliss and Mike Adventures said...

Love all those photos... I like seeing what it is like in some places... gives me a little hope with this crazy wait I am in...