Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Computer Savvy

Concordia, the school the boys attend, is very much into technology. From 7th grade on, every student has a laptop that they use in class and for homework. Most assignments are emailed to teachers, homework is posted on a teacher's blog, many presentations are created entirely online and presented to the class on the large screen in the classroom. Even at Seth's level, there is a ratio of two students to one computer in every classroom, and they are used extensively. As a result, my boys are far ahead of me in their working knowledge of computers.

Tonight Seth was telling me about some new things he had learned about the computer from a girl in his class named Violet, tricks if you will. Tricks like, if you press this key and then that key, it will automatically zoom in on whatever internet screen you have up. Maybe you already know how to do this, but I didn't. There were plenty of others like it. As I marveled about all these cool little shortcuts Violet knew and taught Seth, he summed up her skills by saying,

"She's tech-y".

I guess that's one of those terms for the new generation of which I am not a part.

No comments: