Thursday, October 12, 2006

Fast Forward Seasons

This morning we had an unseasonable hour of snow! Madelyn had heard yesterday from someone that a "blurry" was expected for today... I think somehow she mixed up blizzard and flurries in her mind! Anyway, this morning we went from cold and sunshine in a blue sky to big flakes falling fast and furious! I was in the car with Gwen when it started. We arrived home to find Seth and Madelyn already in scarves, boots and mittens that they had dug out of the basement, and at a fevered pitch with excitement! After all, it was 75 last Sunday! I got Gwen out of the car to join them in the snow on the driveway.

She was amazed by the white stuff falling from the sky. She clearly did not remember the snow she experienced last winter... I guess there really wasn't much to speak of. She walked out of the garage into the snow that was already sticking on the driveway. She walked cautiously, gingerly, with both arms outstretched. She watched in amazement as the flakes fell onto her arms and hands. She couldn't see this, but her black hair was quickly covered with flakes, like a little halo on her head! I ran to the basement and rummaged around to find mittens for her. When I emerged from the house with them and held them out to show her, she said, "Kitten?" At first I thought she misunderstood the word mitten, then I realized she was remembering the three little kittens book we read! (You know, they lost their mittens?!)

The snow is all gone now, (we're in for a beautiful fall weekend, supposedly) and I have no picture of my girl experiencing snow for the first time in her rememberance. Sadly, I lost my camera at an orchard we went to last weekend. I am still hopeful that it will turn up. But even without the image recorded on camera, I have it in my head. Her little wondering face looking up into the sky...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lynne
Thank you again for sharing another memoriable occasion. God has truly bless you with the gift of writing.

Love you Mom Liptak