Monday, May 01, 2006

Communication and Change

Gwen's speech is improving daily. The other three children delight in getting her to repeat things, both to hear her funny pronunciations and also to be able to tell me new words that she can say. I'm always overhearing, "Gwen, say _____". Usually she gets the beginning sound of the word and not a lot else.

However, the newest addition to her collection of distinguishable words comes across quite plainly. It's this~ "See, Mom, see." She wants me to watch her, of course. Sometimes she's wanting me to watch her vague copies of Madelyn's gymnastics moves, moves where Gwen is on all fours with one leg in the air. Sometimes she wants me to see her funny little made up dances, the ones where she spins around a few times and then does some jumping, grinning all the while.

Gwen's "See, Mom, see" reminds me of a similar phrase from a little blonde boy, our first one... Caleb. We were living in Atlanta, and Seth was literally just days away from being born. One balmy Georgia day in December, we took Caleb to Lake Lanier to play by the water. It wasn't swimming weather, but certainly a nice day to be on the beach. He was not quite two and a half at the time. He found stones on the beach, as little boys will, and discovered the fun of throwing them into the water. Over and over, rock after rock, his little voice calling out with each toss~ "Mom, watch it happen!" In my pregnancy weary state, I was almost irritated that I was supposed to watch every toss, but now... well, you know. Now that first little blonde boy is finishing the sixth grade. He is nearly my height (taller than me with his roller blades on) and his shoes are too big for me. The years are rushing by, aren't they? I've tried to "watch it happen", but I can't remember seeing that blonde toddler slip away and return as this tall, brown haired boy that lives at my house now.

4 comments:

Donna said...

This is a charming post! I remember my two and a half year old son getting caught up in a little wave on the beach and getting drenched to the bone and shivvering and remarking "I'm a little bit freezing!"

Now he's 6 weeks from graduating from high school.

Sigh..... seems like just yesterday.

Our Gwen is talking more and more but 99 percent of the time we can't understand a word of it!

:)

Donna

Anonymous said...

I can so relate my twin "wigglebutts" as we used to call them, turn 13 tomorrow! Enjoy the "see, Mom , sees!!!!

Rachel

Rebecca said...

"It goes so fast; we don't have time to look at one another!"

-Emily Gibbs, in Thornton Wilder's _Our Town_.

Anonymous said...

Oh - tears! I was just thinking my little blonde (Ok -red) haired boy was looking tall! :(

I have to remember that is what we want! A 30 year old would not be cute 34 inches high!

Sarah