Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A Thursday in February, 2012

Time flies and time stands still.  Not sure what it's doing now, but we are moving towards Something Big.  More than one something, even. 


Caleb told me last week that there were 100 days until his graduation.  That's big.  The countdown is on.  Yesterday morning I attended a meeting with other senior moms to plan the banquet after the ceremony.  I feel a little like I am looking down on someone else... surely this isn't me, this isn't my child who is now less than 100 days from graduation.  Time flies.


On Monday I made a second visit to the orphanage I blogged about before Chinese New Year.  A room full of special needs toddlers, some blind, some mentally challenged, all alone in the world.  I sang songs again, stroked faces, hugged and tickled and clapped hands.  I fed.  I felt again the insignificance of my contribution to their existence, but I also sensed the ministering angels that my dad and my sister reminded me must be there with those little ones.  It was hard, but it was good.


I had a call a couple of days ago from the company that will do our pack and move on the China side.  They are coming next Tuesday at 10 AM to do a preliminary survey of our household goods.  I remember this.  Done this before.  I remember the planning of it all- what should go in the air shipment?  How about the sea shipment?  Once they are packed, I won't see the items in the sea shipment again for 10-12 weeks.  We're having our parents here in May for graduation... will my house be half empty?  Maybe.  Depends on whether or not we want to live in our house here half empty for a while, or have it half empty in the States for a while.  It actually makes me laugh a little at this point!  We will figure it out.


On a lighter note, Scott got his braces off!  He had had just about enough of them and was pretty pleased to be finished.  Last of the boys to finish.  Can I just say that he looks SO good?  :-)


Our dear, dear friends the Stevensons are coming soon.  Coming to Shanghai.  Ahhh.  What a treat it will be to have them with us, to see and understand a bit of our lives.  We've been so blessed to have most of our family come to experience a bit of China with us, but not any friends from our Other Life.  They are the first and looks like the only.  Thank you, friends!  Can't wait to have you here on my couch with a cup of tea.  :-)


After factoring in the 14 hour time difference, the other day I placed a call to Steve's Sanding Service in Chicago.  Steve answered.  I was requesting a quote for having the kitchen floor refinished in the home we haven't set foot in for four years, seven months and some odd days.  Funny it was, to chat with Steve about working in that house, my house from my Other Life.  In a few months I'll be there again, probably meet Steve and have him redo my floor.  Funny.  Time flies.


This week I had to officially tell Concordia that the Liptak family will not be back next year.  The email requested that I list each current student, followed by their status for the 2012-2013 school year.  For a moment, time stood still.  I typed each name.  Caleb Liptak, graduating, not returning.  Seth Liptak, not returning.  Madelyn Liptak, not returning.  Gwendolyn Liptak, not returning.  Deep breath.  Sigh.  We are moving on. 


I love my life, I love that we've lived in China.  So very thankful.  Glad we're not finished here yet, that there are some months left.  Hoping and believing that God will provide more opportunities for us to "mix it up" as we leave this place, to see a different side of life, to see Him show up in unexpected ways. 




2 comments:

Rebecca said...

What a great post, dear Lynne, and not even a little bit because I am a small part of it. You are thinking the way I think, or I think the way you think, or something. I understand this: the moments to stand still and watch it all happening and wonder about it.

Mercy.

Thank you for sharing. I love it.

shalombringer said...

Lynne,

It seems like yesterday we were trying to process some of the same emotions and feelings associated with moving on...especially as it related to Austin's graduation. Your post reminded me of those feelings! I think God spared us some of the intensity in that Chelsea graduated and went off to university before we had to contemplate a move back to the U.S.

There is no advice or suggestion that can withstand the sensory overload that will likely come faster and with greater fury as you approach the "BIG" days ahead. So know that we miss you guys and will keep the family in prayer. Thankfully, we are living into the preparations that God handled ahead of us - and we are confident that He has already paved your path and that He walks beside you. Do let us know if there is anything we can do - even if that means just chatting!

Rob & Holly

P.S.
Do check with your shipper on a shorter transit time - I simply asked the question and they were happy to shorten the time from 3 months to 6 weeks! Maybe they can't (or won't) but it is worth asking the question!