Monday, November 27, 2006

Whining... or not

We've had a little whining problem with Gwen recently. I am trying to remember how to handle this, but my "dealing with a two and a half year old muscles" have gotten weak with disuse in the years since my older three were toddlers. Now I am needing to exercise them again to recall the forgotten methods as they need to be called into service.

This afternoon Gwen was very definitely whining. You know the tone of voice. I said, "What are you doing?" in kind of a joking way, hoping to snap her out of it. She replied, with an impish grin on her face, "Whining... just kidding, whining!"

Oh my word. My toddler told me she was just kidding about whining. I think I need a real workout on those "dealing with a two and a half year old muscles"! Any suggestions on ending whining once and for all?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My DD is now 3.5. She is advanced verbally, talked when she was one, but she definately went through a major whining phase. I begged, bribed, and pleaded, nothing worked. then I just ignored her when she talked like that. i told her " I dont understand you when you whine like that. If you want something say it in your normal voice. After a few days of me not giving in, she stopped. Well mostly :)

Lynne said...

Thanks for the tip... I have heard that one before and had forgotten about it. I will definitely give it a try!

Rebecca said...

Ending whining once and for all? I *still* whine: "I don't want to get up!" "I don't want to go to school!" "I don't want to do Another Load of laundry!" You get the picture.... But I guess I do all the whining in my head, so maybe it doesn't count?